Slow cooked meat sounds like hard work, but it’s actually the opposite. The smoky flavour and melt in your mouth texture of this meat make it hard to stop eating.. The left overs make for amazing sliders too. This could easily be done in a camp oven, keep an eye on the temperature as it will cook quicker. The longer and slower it is the better the flavour.
1 kg Beef Brisket
1 cup tomato puree
½ cup apple cider vinegar
500 ml red wine
1 cup beef stock
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp chilli powder ( amount depends on heat required!)
3 tbsp smokey paprika
2 cloves garlic
1 large onion, chopped
1 Celery stalk, roughly chopped
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
- Season the brisket with salt and pepper and seal all sides in a hot pan.
- Add all other ingredients to a large slow cooker and combine. Add sealed brisket and roll in combined liquid to cover.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours, turning meat regularly. Meat should fall apart when done.
- About 7 hours in remove about ¾ of the liquid and simmer in a small saucepan till reduced by half. You may like to add some dissolved cornflour to thicken and you can adjust the sweetness with sugar to taste.
- Use a fork to break up the meat into small portions to serve. Serve the meat with the reduced sauce. Roasted potatoes and steamed vegetables accompany this well.